My husband’s family come from Co. Clare. Actually he comes from one of the few villages in Ireland which has a church and a school but no pub!!
I love Clare, it is home to my amazing mother-in-law, it has the majesty of the cliffs of Moher and it is has the Burren.
‘How was it made Mummy?’
Well I had to look this up, but what a story...imagine...
- millions and millions of years ago there used to be a tropical sea where the Burren is
- there was coral living in this sea and coral although it might look like a rock is actually an animal
- when the coral died the remains of the coral helped to form the limestone rock which makes up the Burren now
- the funny thing about limestone, which is a rock, is that it is soluble
- the other funny thing about limestone is you might find it in your toothpaste
- over 350 million years the rock has become the way it is now because some of it has dissolved away
- the ice ages when the world was covered in ice changed the rock too
- you can see the shapes of the animals, that used to live in the sea, in fossils in the rock
- the Burren is now a special place for plants. Plants that are found in the arctic, the Mediterranean and the alps all live happily together in the Burren.
I love that my kid’s questions keep me learning every day. Thank god for Wikipedia :)